Monday 4 May 2015

Designing an efficient way to design a game - 4/5/15

The title is kind of funny but I do think it makes a lot of sense.

What is the best way to design a game?

To design anything?

After working on Birdlife, I feel like I've learned a ton of things and in this quick blog I'm going to go over them.

Firstly, I feel like I would've done communication within our group a lot better. I should have organised more group meetings among all group members and I should have caught up with graphic and audio designers more often. I also feel like having the group members come to an even earlier playtest of the game that we had would have done wonders for our sound effects and music. The graphic designers and audio designers didn't really have an understanding of what our game actually was until the last week, if that. Fortunately, this time, we got lucky and our sound effects and graphics were great.

Secondly, I feel like organisation of actual roles within our group could've helped us a lot. A lot of the time jobs weren't really designated. Sure we had, "animator," "audio" and things like that, but I found myself unsure of who was completing each individual task, for example I wanted to check on how the music was going and I had to scroll up through an old conversation with one of the audio guys to check if he had implied which of the two jobs, (sound effects and music,) he was going to complete himself. Little things like that could've been done far better.

Another thing I feel like I could've done better is really understanding what I wanted the game to be from an earlier stage. For the first 2 weeks I didn't really know what the hell the game was. I had the general gist but that really isn't enough when you're creating something.


I will be going over the project in far more detail in my larger postmortem this week. Get hyped.

No comments:

Post a Comment